Finland Residence by Investment
Finland always ranks high in the countries with the best standard of living. The country doesn’t offer many paths to business people, and there are no passive investment programs such as bond or real estate. It instead offers a few possibilities for immigrant entrepreneurs looking to reside in Finland. Approved applicants receive a 4-year residence permit. After 4 years you can apply for permanent residence in Finland.
Read also about the Denmark Startup visa
Finland Immigrant Entrepreneur
Apply with this application for a residence permit if you intend to come to Finland to become an entrepreneur. Before a permit can be issued, entrepreneurs usually need to enter their business in the Trade Register maintained by the Finnish Patent and Registration Office. Startup entrepreneurs must get a positive statement from Business Finland before they apply for a residence permit. A startup entrepreneur cannot get a residence permit without a positive statement from Business Finland. After 5 years of permanent residence you can apply for naturalization to Finnish citizenship.
You are an entrepreneur if you are:
- a start-up entrepreneur
- a private trader who has a so-called individually owned business (toiminimi)
- a partner in a general partnership
- a general partner in a limited partnership (not a silent partner)
- a member of a cooperative who has an unlimited liability for refinancing. The unlimited obligation to contribute has to be registered in the trade register
- a shareholder in a managerial position in a limited-liability company (managing director or member of the board of directors) or a person working in another type of company in a managerial position if you personally own at least 30% of the company’s share capital or personally have at least 30% of the number of votes produced by the company’s shares, or if you are a person in a managerial position in another type of company with similar authority in the company concerned.
This is what you should do:
- Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.
- Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised.
- Fill in your application.
- Pay for your application in the e-service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.
- If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.
- Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.
- Read what happens after you have applied. Check the estimated processing time of your application on the website.
- You should wait for the residence permit in the same country or locality where you submitted your application and proved your identity.
You can find more information on the government website.